Issued on: Modified:
India on Sunday set a new virus record when it reported 78,761 new infections in 24 hours, according to health ministry figures, passing the United States for the world's highest single-day rise.
India, home to 1.3 billion people, is already the world's third-most infected nation with more than 3.5 million cases, behind the US and Brazil.
It has also reported more than 63,000 deaths.
The US set the previous record on July 17 with 77,638 daily infections, according to an AFP tally.
India's grim milestone came a day after the government further eased its coronavirus lockdown, in place since late March, to boost the struggling economy.
Millions have lost their jobs since the start of the lockdown, with the poor particularly hard hit.
The Home Affairs Ministry said gatherings of up to 100 people would be allowed with face masks and social distancing at cultural, entertainment, sports and political events from next month.
Metro train services would also resume "in a graded manner" in major cities.
👉 Metro services can resume from Sept 7;
👉 States & UTs may permit 50% of teaching staff to come to schools for online teaching from 21st Sept.
👉Schools, colleges & coaching institutions to remain closed.
👉Swimming pools, theatres, cinema halls to remain closed pic.twitter.com/eeyYnhsoMy— G Kishan Reddy (@kishanreddybjp) August 29, 2020
The coronavirus has badly hit megacities such as financial hub Mumbai and the capital New Delhi, but is now also surging in smaller cities and rural areas.
Schools remain closed but students can meet teachers on a voluntary basis on school premises if needed, according to the new guidelines.
- بچه واقعا می تواند برای برخی از شبدر
- کربن فعال | انواع جدید
- ورزشی خلاصه: NFL مطالعه صورت گارد که با این نسخهها کار مانند فولاد ماسک; کال نام سافتبال بانوان مربی
- Scores of anti-government protesters arrested in Zimbabwe
- Big 12 joins SEC, ACC for fall football schedule
- ایمان و فمینیسم: زنان و مسیحیت
- چک لیست سئو 2020
- یوونتوس ادعا نهم متوالی سری A title پس از ضرب و شتم سامپدوریا
- سوتلانا تیخانوفسکایا رهبر اپوزیسیون بلاروس: 'ما یک کشور دیگر می خواهیم'
- لوله فلکسیبل برق تولید کننده خرطومی فلزی قیمت روز