French Armed Forces Minister Florence Parly said on Sunday that an investigation had been launched into a senior French officer who is suspected of being behind a "security breach". According to French media and a judicial source, the officer is believed to have transmitted sensitive documents to a "foreign power", possibly Russia.
Europe 1 radio reported that a French lieutenant colonel based in Italy and stationed with NATO is suspected of having transmitted sensitive documents to the Russian secret services.
Parly said her ministry had informed prosecutors about the case. She did not elaborate on what the officer was suspected of having done.
"What I can confirm is that a senior officer is facing legal proceedings for a security breach," Florence Parly told Europe 1 radio, CNews and Les Echos newspaper.
"We have implemented all the necessary safeguards," Parly said.
A judicial source later confirmed that a senior officer had been indicted on charges involving "intelligence with a foreign power that undermines the fundamental interests of the nation".
He is being prosecuted for "delivering information to a foreign power" as well as "collecting information harming the fundamental interests of the nation with a view to delivering them to a foreign power" and "compromising the secrecy of national defence", the source said.
The man was arrested by DGSI intelligence service as he was about to leave for Italy at the end of his holidays in France and is being held at a prison in Paris, according to Europe 1.
The official speaks Russian and was seen in Italy with a man identified as an agent of the GRU, the Russian military intelligence service, Europe 1 reported.
(FRANCE 24 with AFP and REUTERS)
- --داميان ليلارد 61 امتياز دارد در حاليكه بلیزرز از ماوريكز 134-131
- هنگ کنگ طرفدار دموکراسی و رسانه ها مغول جیمی لای است که با وثیقه
- دو به دنبال حمله در میلتون که در سمت چپ T راننده اتوبوس با دنده شکسته و
- اوباما صحبت می کند تا در حمایت از جوان آمریکایی خواستار نژادی عدالت
- به عنوان سرخپوستان کلیولند در نظر گرفتن تغییر نام Atlanta Braves می گویند آنها نمی
- برخورد پلیس در مقابل کاخ سفید به عنوان حکومت اعلام شده در شهرستانها عمده ما
- Virus resurgence casts pall over France’s Ligue 1 season kick-off
- The Giants' playoff odds aren't so bad anymore after walk-off win vs. Dodgers
- پورتلند شهردار خواسته فدرال آمريکا ترک شهر پس از درگیری با ضد نژادپرستی تظاهرات
- کمیسیون اروپا پیشنهاد €750 میلیارد بازیابی صندوق در پی Covid-19 بحران